Skip to main content

Headless Body Found in Mud Pond

An Unsolved Mystery Near Rickett's Glen

In 1911, George Snyder of Jamison City was fishing in Mud Pond, just north of Lake Jean, when he made a chilling discovery-- a headless body. Though badly decomposed, the corpse was dressed in expensive clothing, except for his pants, which were inexplicably missing. The victim was also found carrying a woman's handkerchief and a letter written in a foreign language. To date, the identity of the victim has never been ascertained. Was it murder? Suicide? An unfortunate accident? Perhaps you can solve this century-old mystery of Rickett's Glen!

From the Laporte Republican News Item, July 21, 1911:

While fishing in Mud Pond, about six miles from Jamison City on Friday of last week, Geo. Snyder of Elk Grove came upon the badly decomposed headless body of a man. He first mistook the body for a log, finding it in one of the most secluded spots on the pond, a place over which the brush hung heavily.

Making the startling discovery that the head was missing, Snyder hurried back to Jamison City leaving the body untouched. The body was not taken from the water until Saturday night, until it had been ascertained that it had been found in Luzerne instead of Sullivan County.

Whether the head had been severed from the body by a murderer or whether the man had drowned and the decomposition accounts for the absence of the head could not be definitely told. That his death occurred in the winter months is shown by the clothing worn which was heavy, while an overcoat was found on the shore nearby. A strange fact was that (he) wore three shirts, a coat and an overcoat while his trousers were missing.

A letter written in a foreign language was found in an inside pocket. Other contents of the pockets were a lady's silk handkerchief, an insurance memorandum book and a pair of nose glasses. His clothes were of texture that indicated that he was a man of some education and refinement.

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …