Skip to main content

Human heart found on train's cow-catcher




The following article, which appeared in the Allentown Democrat on March 21, 1894, describes the dangers of falling asleep on a railroad track used by a high-speed passenger train:



A BLOOD SPATTERED LOCOMOTIVE- GHASTLY DISCOVERY- HUMAN HEART FOUND ON A PILOT

A man's heart was found wedfed between the bars of the cow-catcher of the engine of a New Jersey Central passenger train when it pulled into the Jersey Central Station here on Wednesday night. The train is the evening flyer, and runs from New York to Allentown in about two hours. It is made to speed at a terrific rate across the level plains of New Jersey. The crew consists of Jerry Goodwin, engineer, W.E. Creveling, fireman, and David Funk, conductor, all of this city. They knew of no accident until they arrived at Glendon, this side of Easton, when they received a dispatch from Somerville saying that track walkers had found a dismembered corpse between that place and Bound Brook. Time was precious and the train had to proceed. The ghastly find was made when the train was inspected at the end of its run in this city. The pilot was spattered with blood, and besides the heart on the pilot the victim's liver was discovered lying on the front of the engine. The man was probably lying, either drunk or asleep, on the track when struck in New Jersey. The remains were unrecognizable.

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …