Skip to main content

Who's Buried Beneath Kettle Creek Reservoir?

Why Kettle Creek just may be the spookiest state park in Pennsylvania

Constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1961, the Kettle Creek Reservoir in Clinton County is a popular destination for fishermen, boaters and swimmers. Yet, beneath its peaceful waters rests the bones of long-forgotten early settlers of Leidy Township.

In the summer of 1960, fifteen workers were tasked with the challenge of relocating the graves from ten cemeteries that lined the banks of Kettle Creek to make way for the large 1,793 acre lake. These pioneer graveyards contained the remains of hundreds of early settlers, but by August it became clear that there was a problem-- nobody was quite sure just how many graves there really were.

Workers from Walter E. Steelman and John J. Cicero Associates, the contractor in charge of reinterring remains to the North Bend and Maple Grove cemeteries outside of the reservoir zone, were startled to discover that they had dug up 33 more graves than what was expected. As it turns out, numerous gravesites were either unmarked, or their markers had long since been lost or destroyed. Because of the careless and hurried nature of the project, nine of the 33 "mystery" graves were moved to North Bend, while 24 were moved to Maple Grove. To this day, the identities of these early settlers have never been discovered; these graves are now marked with simple metal plates bearing one single word: Unknown.

By the time the reservoir was created, 474 graves had been moved to North Bend and Maple Grove, although it is entirely possible (and quite probable) that dozens more had escaped detection. This was 1960, after all, and it would be decades before technologies such as ground penetrating radar (GPR) would aid in the detection of lost graves. But, even if GPR technology had been available to the contractors, it is doubtful that every single grave would have been discovered. This is because pioneers had lived in the valley long before the establishment of graveyards, burying family members on their own homesteads, in graves marked only with fieldstones or simple wooden slabs. Even with modern GPR technology, canvassing an area of 1,793 acres would be a monumental task, requiring several months and perhaps years. And yet this task was completed in scarcely more than two months, with equipment primitive by today's standards, and a labor force of only fifteen men.

The first grave transfer occurred one year earlier, in May of 1959, with the removal of graves from the Wertz-Pfoutz cemetery, but the bulk of the project took place between July 22 and August 30 of 1960, with the relocation of the Sullivan, Earl Summerson, Summerson, Proctor, Calhoun, Old Maple Grove, Campbell, Brooks, Botsford, and Stowe-Pfoutz cemeteries. 

Map of the relocated cemeteries from the Aug. 30, 1960 edition of the Lock Haven Express

But there may be more than centuries-old graves beneath the waters of Kettle Creek Reservoir. History records at least one unfortunate soul whose lifeless corpse never recieved a proper burial-- and his remains may still be at the bottom of the lake.

In June of 1912, an interesting find was made by a trout fisherman named Michael Lykens. While making his way from one branch of the creek to another through a marshy swale, Lykens stopped in a thicket to eat his lunch. While seated on a log, his eyes fell upon an unusual artifact-- an old-fashioned smooth-bore rifle leaning again the stump of a rotted tree. He picked up the rusty rifle and the remains of the wooden stock crumbled in his hands. When he stooped down to gather up the pieces, he discovered what remained of a human skull.

Lykens also found several other human bones, many of which disintegrated at his touch. It was apparent that these remains were very, very old. By the design of the rifle, Lykens estimated that the gun was from the late 1880s, and he theorized that the gun belonged to a hunter who had also rested at the very same spot. The unknown hunter must have gotten bogged down in the swampy ground, or perhaps died of natural causes. Lykens made no effort to move the bones.

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …