Skip to main content

William Tell prank gone horribly wrong

Ask most folks who live in the coal region where Diamondtown is and they'll probably have no clue. But ask anyone who lives anywhere between Pottsville and Shamokin (especially an old-timer) where Diamondtown is and they'll tell you it's right next to Mt. Carmel. No, not that clump of houses to the west of Mt. Carmel (that would be Dooleyville and Connorsville). Not to the northeast of Mt. Carmel (that would be Atlas) and not to the south of Mt. Carmel (that would be Merrian).

Diamondtown, as everyone knows, was the home of Homiak's Bar, the fabled watering hole of the post-war era where (according to my grandfather) air hoses concealed in the floor blew up girl's dresses and you could enjoy a lobster dinner for under a buck.

Diamondtown was also the home of Harvey Wessner, who died in 1929 after 125 hours of unconsciousness, after his best friend whacked him in the skull with a baseball bat while attempting to knock a hat from Wessner's head.

Here's the original newspaper account of the incident, which appeared in the Shamokin News-Dispatch on April 8, 1929.

William Tell Prank Results in Man's Death

Unconscious for 125 hours, the result of having been struck on the head with a baseball bat, Harvey Wessner, 44, of Diamondtown, near Mt. Carmel, died at the Ashland State Hospital at 11:30 Saturday night without regaining consciousness.

The death of Wessner came as the tragic termination of a William Tell escapade that was enacted at the Wessner home on Easter Sunday night while the Diamondtown man was entertaining a number of friends.
There had been considerable clowning during the course of the evening and the climax came when Wessner placed a derby hat crosswise on his head and announced that Harvey Lindermuth, 28, of Mt. Carmel, a close friend, would proceed to knock the hat from his head without touching the skull.

Lindermuth took the swing, but his aim was low and the heavy club struck Wessner a sickening blow along the side of the head. A moment later the unfortunate man sank unconscious to the floor. 

At the direction of a physician the injured man was rushed to the Ashland Hospital where it was ascertained that he had suffered a fractured skull. Wessner was unconscious when admitted to the hospital and despite heroic efforts of the surgeons he continued in a state of coma, growing steadily weaker until Saturday night when death ensued.

It became evident to the hospital doctors Saturday morning that he could not long survive and members of the Wessner family were summoned to his bedside.

Following the removal of the injured man to the hospital early last Monday morning, Lindermuth, the wielder of the bat which inflicted the fatal injury, surrendered to the Mt. Carmel police. He has been a prisoner in the county jail ever since, awaiting the outcome of Wessner's injuries.

Official information today was to the effect that Lindermuth would probably be charged with manslaughter as a result of Wessner's death.

Investigation by the Mt. Carmel authorities has revealed the fact that the two men were the best of friends and that there was absolutely no reason why Lindermuth should have struck Wessner with deliberate or murderous intent. One fact has been established and that is that the men at the Wessner home had been drinking quite freely and that Lindermuth was well under the influence of intoxicants at the time he struck Wessner.

Coroner J.K. Fisher of Sunbury is making an investigation of the circumstances surrounding the tragedy, and announced today that he will hold a formal inquest some time this week.

Wessner was married and is survived by his wife and eight stepchildren.

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …