Skip to main content

The Secret of Sunbury's Buried Stone Slab

The following strange story appeared in the October 4, 1906 edition of the Tyrone Daily Herald, and describes the nightly hauntings by the ghost of Samuel Hayward, who appears to be looking for a mysterious object he buried in his yard shortly before he died.

Strange Apparition at Sunbury

According to the Sunbury Daily, residents of the third ward in that city are greatly excited over a strange apparition which is seen nightly in the yard of Mrs. Samuel Hayward, of Lombard Street.

It is now two months since the death of Mr. Hayward. Before he died he buried a large stone in the yard beside his home. What was the idea in so doing people in the neighborhood cannot tell. But they say that every night he returns to visit the buried slab. Certain it is that a ghostly shadow appears from the deep shade of the trees in back in the yard, that it moved forward to the stone and then disappears. Sometimes it is seen again, but generally it has vanished as if by magic.

The curiosity of the Hayward family, as well as the people nearby, has been greatly aroused by the uncanny spectacle. The figure of a man is perfectly outlined in transparent shadows. It walks without fear or hesitation directly to the buried stone. Yet it cannot be heard, it leaves no footprints in the damp grass, and when it suddenly disappears not the slightest trace of its presence is ever seen. Many people inclined to superstition are firmly convinced that it is the apparition of Mr. Heyward returning to his earthly home, perhaps to brood over some secret which is buried with the slab. Others, inclined to take a more practical view of the situation, say that it is the result of peculiar light effect from the distant arc light. But meanwhile the shadow comes and goes its concerned way before the eyes of the mystified spectators.

Unfortunately, further research has turned up no additional information about Samuel Hayward or the mysterious slab he buried in the back yard of his Lombard Street home. Was it a marker of some sort denoting the location of a buried treasure? Or did it mark the location of something far more sinister? For all anyone knows, the slab and its secret may still remain buried somewhere in Sunbury.

Follow on Twitter: @bizarrejournal

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …