Skip to main content

Mount Carmel girl kidnapped by gypsies

Early 20th century gypsy family

Raising a teenage daughter can be a challenge, as Joseph Lucas of Diamondtown would have told you in the summer of 1908. That was the year his fourteen-year-old daughter, Mary, was kidnapped by gypsies. Described by newspapers as "incorrigible" and described by her father as a girl who "has not been a particularly dutiful daughter", it seemed only a matter of time until Mary Lucas-- renowned throughout the Mount Carmel area as a ravishing beauty-- found herself running with wrong crowd.

And there were plenty of wrong crowds to run with in those days-- from the highwaymen who robbed miners at gunpoint on payday to bootleggers, smugglers, and operators of "bawdy houses". There were plenty of ways for an impressionable and pretty girl to go astray, but the furthest thing from Joseph Lucas' mind was the prospect of gypsies.

At least not until July of that year, when a large gypsy caravan set up their encampment at Berry's, a mining patch near Shamokin. All week long, the gypsies wandered through the streets of Mount Carmel and surrounding communities, telling fortunes and reading palms. And, of course, fleecing the locals out of their hard-earned money.

Howard K. Archer, a photographer at Pichard's portrait studio, was one of the victims. When a raven-haired gypsy beauty offered to foretell Archer's future, he complied. The gypsy told him to hold out his hand and she stared intently at his palm. She then told him to take out his handkerchief and whatever money he had in his pockets. She wrapped up the money in the handkerchief-- four half dollars-- and deftly placed it into the photographer's trouser pocket. "Keep it there for one hour," she instructed, "and great luck you shall have." She then walked out of the shop. When the hour was up, Archer took his balled up handkerchief out of his pocket and discovered the money was gone. It was, to Archer's dismay, a two-dollar sleight-of-hand performance he would never forget.

It was the striking beauty of Mr. Lucas' daughter that caught the attention of one of these vagabonds, who enticed Mary to visit their camp. She failed to return home that evening and the worried father questioned Mary's friends until he discovered where she had gone.

The following day, Monday, July 21, a search of the gypsy camp was made but the girl could not be found. Most of the gypsies had disappeared, leaving in their wagons for parts unknown.

Justice Reed was notified and a charge of kidnapping was filed. The matter was placed in the hands of Constable David McDonald, who immediately set out to follow the trail of the gypsy caravan. He reported that the missing girl might have ended up in Passaic, New Jersey.

On Thursday, six stray gypsies were rounded up near the Lucas home in the Mount Carmel "suburb" of Diamondtown. They were charged with aiding and abetting in the abduction of Mary Lucas. They revealed that Mary was in the company of one of the swarthy gypsy princes somewhere near Mahanoy City.

Constable McDonald headed to Mahanoy City, but after he arrived there he was informed that the man he was looking for had fled to New York. McDonald obtained the address from one of the gypsies and on Friday morning he departed for New York City, where he located the missing girl and brought her back to Diamondtown.

On July 28, Mary Lucas was sent by Judge Auten to the House of the Good Shepherd, a home for wayward girls in Reading run by the Sisters of Charity. The Mount Carmel Item reported: Mary was anxious to go, as were her parents and friends to have her there. Judge Auten saying, that in complaince with the wishes of all concerned he thought it for the best.

Mount Carmel Item, July 21, 1908
Mount Carmel Item, July 24, 1908
Mount Carmel Item, July 28, 1908

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …