Nothing attracts customers to a business like human remains in the window. In 1925, C.W. Ross of Oil City found a human skull while excavating at his property along the Allegheny River. It appeared that the skull was missing its top, suggesting that the skull had once belonged to a native who was scalped during a battle with an enemy tribe.
As any person would, Ross had a desire to show off his nifty find, and decided to place it in the window of his general store on Colbert Avenue.
The following appeared in the Franklin News-Herald on July 10, 1925.