Skip to main content

A ghostly tale of Mt. Carmel's Reliance Colliery

Reliance Colliery, located south of Mount Carmel on Locust Mountain, saw many tragedies since its construction in 1867. Of these, the explosion of September 2, 1926, is perhaps best remembered, which claimed the lives of four miners and badly burned several more.

However, one remarkable tragedy that took place in the shadows of Reliance Colliery didn't involve a miner at all, but a middle-aged Lithuanian woman named Annie Metzgas. Her death in 1903 didn't warrant more than a few sentences in local papers, but the stories of her ghost haunting the surrounding hills kept the residents of Mount Carmel inside their homes at night for weeks after her unfortunate demise.

On Friday afternoon, July 10, a powerful thunderstorm swept over the area. It came suddenly, catching Annie Metzgas by surprise as she was picking huckleberries on the hill near the colliery. Annie had arrived in the country just a few months earlier, and barely spoke a word of English. She shared a home with her daughter, Mrs. Matthew Simonaitis, at 202 West Second Street, and was picking berries so that she could sell them in order to earn enough money to bring her husband to America.

When the storm clouds gathered overhead Annie made a run for it, eventually reaching a schoolhouse. She was spotted by Frank Lewis at around 3 o'clock, who was making repairs at the building, and he told her to go into the coal shed to get out of the driving rain. She didn't understand English, and the fact that the man had to yell in order to be heard over the terrible downpour probably frightened the poor woman; instead of seeking safety from the storm inside the shed, she continued to run, heading toward a clump of trees along the road.

Lewis went back to his work and didn't give the woman any thought until later that evening, when he was told that a miner named Wilson Blue, who was on his way to Reliance Colliery for the night shift, had found a dead woman beneath some trees. Blue found her face down in the dirt, near the base of a tree that had been charred by lightning. Blue notified his boss, Andrew Maurer, who in turn notified the undertaker. After the body was identified, it was taken back to the Simonaitis home, where it was later examined by Coroner Dreher.

According to Coroner Dreher, the back of Annie Metzgas' head was charred and her hair was scorched. The lightning strike had been so powerful that the heels of both her shoes were blasted off, and the tin pail she had been carrying was crushed.

Shortly after Annie's death, stories began to spread about a ghostly figure of a woman seen by several witnesses around Reliance Colliery. One witness, a young man, claimed that on the night of July 27 he encountered an apparition on the same stretch of road where Annie had been struck down. The Mount Carmel Item published an account of the incident:

Ever since Mrs. Annie Metzgas met her death by lightning near Reliance the place has possessed its terrors for supertitious. One young man declares that night before last he saw the apparition of a woman come in the road before him and disappear in the woods three times, the last disappearance being in a flash of blinding light. His tale is corroborated by another who professes to have had the same experience last night.

Was it merely a case of an over-active imagination? A hoax? Or did witnesses see the wandering soul of the poor Lithuanian woman whose life was suddenly snuffed out in a blinding flash one stormy summer afternoon in 1903?

Business Owners: Reach 300,000+ potential customers per month for just pennies a day by advertising on Pennsylvania Oddities! 

Popular posts from this blog

The Luzerne County Love Cult Murder of 1931

One of the most peculiar crimes in the history of Pennsylvania occurred in 1931 with the slaying of a reclusive elderly spinster from Forty Fort named Minnie Dilley. While most murders in our state's history were carried out by drunken thugs, heartless outlaws and seasoned criminals, Miss Dilley's slayer was a young female college graduate and the daughter of a minister. Stranger still, the unfortunate elderly victim was said to have belonged to a bizarre sex cult.

A media sensation was created on Wednesday, April 8, when a beautiful 29-year-old woman named Frances Thomsen confessed to the brutal bludgeoning and attempted decapitation of Minnie Dilley, a 76-year-old spinster from Luzerne County. The confessed killer, who graduated from the prestigious halls of Wellesley College, was a mother to three young children and a beloved school teacher. She had once lived across the street from the victim.

But what strange series of events had led to this heinous, ghastly crime?


Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless place…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…