Skip to main content

John C. Bell: Pennsylvania's 19-day Governor

The names of many governors in Pennsylvania history are familiar to most of us. Some are memorialized in the names of our counties (Mifflin, McKean, Snyder), while others are memorialized in the names of our cities, villages and townships (Shunk, Findlay, Wolf, Hastings, Bigler). Two of our governors even have state forests name in their honor (Sproul, Pinchot) while the names of many more grace our streets, highways, bridges, buildings and schools.

But when it comes to state governors, there's one name you won't find on a street sign or football stadium, however-- and it is a name that even many Pennsylvania historians might not recall.

That governor is John Cromwell Bell, and if you don't recognize the name, it's because his tenure as governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania lasted just 19 days-- making him the shortest-serving governor in state history.

A Philadelphia native, Bell came from a family with a political pedigree; his father served as Pennsylvania Attorney General while his grandfather served as a U.S. Representative during the Civil War. After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania in 1917, Bell was admitted to the bar and entered private practice, eventually becoming a senior partner in the law firm of Bell, Murdoch, Paxson and Dilworth.
Bell's political career began in 1919 as assistant city solicitor of Philadelphia. After serving in that capacity for three years, he became assistant district attorney for the city of Philadelphia.

As a conservative Republican, he was a vocal critic of Franklin D. Roosevelt and published several pamphlets condemning FDR's New Deal policies.

Bell was elected Lieutenant Governor in 1942, easily defeating his opponent, Pennsylvania Speaker of the House Elmer Kilroy. He served under Governor Edward Martin, who also won in a landslide victory in 1942.

Gov. Martin had the benefit of name recognition; as a military general, he was instrumental in the development of Fort Indiantown Gap (for several years the facility was designated by the federal government as the Edward Martin Military Reservation). He also served as state treasurer, auditor general and chair of the state Republican Party.

Naturally, when the 1946 election rolled around, Martin's name was at the top of the list to challenge the controversial Joseph F. Guffey for his seat in the U.S. Senate. Guffey, considered by many political historians to be among the worst senators in American history, had a reputation as being a Democratic Party hack. A British political historian once described Guffey thusly:

"A noisy administration supporter who wraps himself in the Roosevelt flag and has been advocating for a fourth term for some time. A very typical Pennsylvania politician who has decided to throw his lot in with the President and has thus become an obedient party hack not of the purest integrity."

Not surprisingly, during the election of 1946, Gov. Martin defeated Guffey in an epic blowout. When the votes were tallied, Edward Martin defeated the incumbent senator by nearly 20 points-- Martin got 59.3% of the vote, while Guffey got just 39.8%.

After defeating Guffey, Martin resigned as governor and was automatically succeeded by John C. Bell, whose 19-day term in office lasted from January 2 to January 21, 1947.

Bell later served as a Justice of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, holding that position for over two decades. He retired as Chief Justice in 1972 and died two years later at the age of 81.

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …