Skip to main content

Goodling's Head Sawed Off

Barners and Goodlings were buried side by side at Barner's Cemetery, near Liverpool

One night in the October of 1900, a 65-year-old farmer named Adam Goodling from Juniata County was allegedly shot in the head by Absalom Barner, with whom he had been feuding.  The prosecution declared that no expense would be spared in bringing Barner to justice, and they were correct- the day after Goodling was laid to rest, the prosecution paid two doctors to dig up the victim and saw off his head, which was used as evidence at Barner's murder trial.

From the Middleburgh Post, January 17,1901:

Goodling's Head Sawed Off- Grave reported to have been opened and the victim's head secured as evidence.

Barner, the man accused of the murder of Adam Goodling, near Liverpool, on the night of October 2, will have a ghastly piece of evidence to confront when he is called before the court for trial.  Some time ago it was announced that the grave of Goodling had been opened and shot extracted from the dead man's head to be used in the trial.  The prosecution has gone a step farther than this and has secured the entire head of dead man.

One dark night not long ago two well known physicians of Mifflin, political enemies, went to the lower end of the county and met a well known character of Middleburg.  They hired a carriage on the pretext that they wanted to hold a consultation over a typhoid fever patient in the country and then drove over the hills and back to the old grave yard where the remains of Adam Goodling were laid to rest a day after he was foully murdered, supposedly by the man who stands charged with the crime.

There was no moon and the sky was overcast, an ideal night for secret operations.  The party arrived at the cemetery shortly after midnight and at once set about locating the grave of the murdered man.  This found, the Middleburg resident produced pick and shovel and went to work, his only light being the few rays shed from the muffled dark lantern in the hands of one of the physicians.  While the work went on the other doctor sat on the edge of a tombstone and tried to whistle a cheerful tune.

The grave was not opened save at the head.  When the coffin lid was struck the upper part was removed with a short axe and the Middleburg man was handed a short saw.  With this he cut completely off the head of the dead man and when the gruesome operation was complete handed it up to the waiting doctor, who placed it in a sack which had been brought along for the purpose.  Then the grave was refilled and the physicians drove back to town, while the Middleburg man went home.

They took the morning train back to Mifflin and now Adam Goodling's head is jarred and stowed away in the stable of one of the physicians to be produced at the trial.

The prosecution has been trying to keep the fact that they will produce the shattered skull quiet by circulating the report that only shot was taken from the body and that no part was removed from the grave.  The story leaked out through a stranger finding the head and demanding an explanation for its presence.

The prosecution claims to have a strong case against Barner and no expense is being saved to convict him.

(view original article here)

The ensuing trial became a sensational affair throughout Juniata County.  The prosecution claimed that Barner shot Goodling because the victim had been carrying on an affair with Barner's wife.  However, the defense established an alibi and Absalom Barner was found not guilty.  By the time the trial ended, more than one hundred witnesses had been called to the stand, and the affair cost the county $2,450 (roughly 70,000.00 in today's currency).

But the strange story does not end there.  In the fall of 1903, Mrs. John Barner- a relative of Absalom- was shot dead while she was clearing brush with her husband outside of their home in Greenwood Township.  Revenge?  The world will never know. 

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …