Skip to main content

Gowen City Ghost

The old Gowen City Hotel

In 1907, newspapers across Northumberland County published a story about a haunted oak tree in Gowen City.  According to reports, the locals believed that the mysterious lights and unexplained explosions witnessed in the village were related to the suicide of a prominent resident named Monroe Whary, who had killed himself one year earlier by blowing his head off with a stick of dynamite.

Here's one account of the Gowen City hauntings, as published in the February 21, 1907 edition of the Bloomsburg Columbian:

Lights, dancing, now wan and nebulous, now bright and glaring, low moaning sounds and again the sounds of a heavy explosion haunt the oak tree at Gowen City where Monroe Whary killed himself last winter by placing a dualin stick on his head.  Gowen City people hurry by the moaning old oak and look askance at it when in the dead of night the mysterious sounds are heard.  

So firmly do several people in the little hamlet near Shamokin believe that the miner's spirit has come back to haunt the scene of his horrible end that they will not pass the oak after dark.

Four of the bolder spirits investigated the spot one night and found nothing.  They watched vigilantly all night but no disturbing lights appeared.  One of the watchers declares that as the moon sank behind the hills, a cold hand was laid across his face and that, unable to move or cry out, he sat in terror until the uncanny arm was withdrawn.

(read the 1907 newspaper article here)

Editor's Note: For anyone interested in researching this story, it should be pointed out that the man's name appears to have been misspelled in the newspaper.  There is a grave belonging to Monroe Wary (not Whary) at the St. Paul's Cemetery in Gowen City.  According to the inscription, Monroe Wary died on Feb 6, 1906, at the age of 38.

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …