Skip to main content

Skeleton found in coal mine

An unidentified coal breaker in Scranton, circa 1905

With thousands miles of abandoned mines below the surface of Pennsylvania, one can only imagine how many skeletons still lurk in the inky depths....

From the June 23, 1910 edition of The Scranton Truth:

Workmen in the Mount Pleasant mine of the Scranton Coal Company made a ghastly find this morning when in making a tour of the old workings at that colliery they came upon the skeleton of a man lying across the pathway. It was evident that the body had been lying there a number of years and nothing was found near the body that would lead to the identification of the remains. From the position in which the skeleton was found it is not probable that the man met death by accident incident to the unusual risks in mining such as fall of roof.

Indications point rather to the theory that the man may have lost his way and wandered into the old workings, where he either fell exhausted before he was able to get back on the right track or was murdered and dragged into the workings to hide the crime. No one in the vicinity remembers of the sudden disappearance of anyone within the past few years that would lead to the solution of the mystery. 

Not a particle of flesh remains on the bones of the victim, but portions of the clothes are still intact. Coroner Saltry was notified by David Williams, an employe of the company, but it is hardly probable that an inquest will throw any light on the mystery.

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Carmel's Mysterious Suicide Cell

Tucked away at the head of North Oak Street in Mount Carmel is a quaint shop housed in a tiny historic brick building. The Shop at Oak & Avenue is a must-see destination for visitors, offering an impressive variety of gifts and handmade jewelry. It is a gem in an otherwise drab coal town whose glory days faded away with the demise of the steam locomotive and the trolley.

While this quaint small town gift shop gives off a pleasant appearance, the history of the building-- one of the oldest in the borough-- is tinged with horror and death. For this tiny building, erected in the 1880s, served as Mount Carmel's first city hall and jail, and this jail had a rather dark distinction of being the site of the cursed and mysterious "suicide cell".

History records six suicides taking place in the basement cell, along with scores of other attempted suicides. For a reason that has defied explanation, this tiny jail in this tiny town seems to bring out the darkest demons lurking wi…

The Lutz Axe Murder

A small two-story house standing at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets in West Pittston presents a humble appearance. Simple in design and white in color, it is remarkable only because it is so unremarkable. A local resident may drive by the house every day for years without ever noticing it, or thinking about it. Certainly, from its understated appearance, nobody would ever guess that this humble house was the home of John Lutz, who, in 1899, committed of the most heinous murders in the history of Luzerne County.

The tiny house at the corner of Franklin and Montgomery is, in fact, a murder house. It is the scene of a gruesome crime that took place more than a century ago. What you are about to read is the story of that house and the killer who lived inside.

On November 29, 1899, John Lutz came home to his 31-year-old wife, Augusta, and their five young children. Lutz, who was nearly ten years older than his wife, was said to have been suffering from feelings of jealousy. Th…

Natalie, Pennsylvania: A Murderer's Paradise

When a miner named Michael Wanzie was murdered in June of 1905, it was evident that something wasn't quite right in the tiny village of Natalie. Although the scenic mountain village had a population of less than two hundred, the slaying of Michael Wanzie was the fourth murder committed in the village in less than a decade.

By 1924 the population had nearly doubled, thanks to a building "boom" that saw the construction of 40 new homes during the preceding year by builders employed by the Colonial Collieries Company, owners of the Natalie Colliery. Twenty of these homes, many of which still stand today, were built by the Evert Construction Company of Kulpmont. In 1923 there were 56 homes in the village, housing 375 residents. By April of 1924 that number would swell to just under 400 residents and 93 homes.

Although the building boom lent a measure of respectability to the village, Natalie was still imbued with a notorious reputation as being one of the most lawless places …